Since the last General Election, UK Mutuals have enjoyed continued and welcome all-party political support.
But there is much more to do to ensure that these important businesses can play a greater role in our economy and society and help to build a fairer country.
By its policy, legislative and regulatory actions, the next Government can enable these businesses to fulfil their potential and deliver a wide range of public policy objectives.
In this election, we call upon each of the political parties to promise to adopt our plan for action:
1. Recognise and support the value of diverse forms of enterprise in the UK economy
2. Ensure that policy, legislation and regulation works to provide a fair business environment for mutuals:
• Greater recognition and policy understanding of the sector by national and devolved politicians
• A commitment to an enabling legislative environment for the sector in the UK
• An understanding of where inappropriate regulation affects the sector and a commitment to address this where it occurs
3. Work with Mutuo and other sector bodies to implement the objectives of the UK Mutual Economy Report 2019